Monday 23 May 2016

A Study Of Fine British Cuisine


12 May was a double celebration of our 15th Wedding Anniversary and the hubby’s 50 odd birthday.  I would make that a triple celebration because the man survived all these years living with an oddball like myself.  So I thought the best way to celebrate was to honour his British roots with fine British cuisine. 

 

I would not have realized there was such a thing as fine British cuisine when all I have come to acquaint myself with British fare introduced to by my Scottish other half, was fish and chips at the local chippy, scotched eggs, haggis, tatties and neep, and black pudding. 

 

On recommendation from a friend, we visited The Study on Keong Siak Road and that experience blew my mind.  I would never laugh at the hubby again if he ever mentioned British Fine Dining.

 

We started our meal with a couple of starters.  His did not seem too British, but mine definitely was.  He ordered Scallops, squid ink and yoghurt.  My first thought when it arrived was, “Oh dear, so chi chi.”  He enjoyed his succulent scallops though and left none for me.  My starter was Scotch Eggs.  The sausage and breading around the egg was not too overwhelmingly thick and would make an even more  perfect starter if there was a little more seasoning.  The eggs were so perfectly cooked though and  good enough to pique my interest about my impending main course.

 

We ordered the Wagyu Beef Tomahawk for our main course, which the hubby touted as “Mother Of All Meats”.  It came with Roasted Potatoes, Vegetables, Couscous, Homemade Barbecue Sauce and English Mustard.   The beef was melt-in-your-mouth perfect, the roast potatoes was truly out of this world ( the man said it was the best roast potatoes he ever had and I thought I tasted Mother Earth in them), it needed more Roasted Vegetables but the couscous was way too salty and did nothing for the dish.

 

We finished our meal off with a lemon tart with compliments from the fabulous staff at The Study.  That lemon tart really capped the evening well as the tangy flavor balanced that very rich dinner.  I was so grateful that the thoughtful team made it extra special for David by piping his name on his dessert plate and served the tart with a candle.  

 

I would go back to The Study even when it is not a special occasion.

 

Our Verdict?  -  BELLY AWESOME

 

 

About The Writer:

This blog post was co-written by my brother Jerome and I. Although we are siblings who grew up 11 years apart, shaped by differing experiences to see the world from different perspectives, we do share a common obsession – FOOD.  We celebrate our passion for life with food.  However, our attitudes to food are quite different and the way we celebrate our love for food are also quite different.  Jerome lives to eat and hoovers everything edible that crosses his path.  As he shovels food into his mouth with that fork in his right hand, he takes photographs of what he eats, and posts pictures and notes up on Facebook with his left.  Often, his beautifully written prose about what he had eaten would be 7 paragraphs in length and would not have any punctuations in between because he had been too busy multi-tasking. 

I, on the other hand, eat to live. It is not just about my attempts to eat healthily. As I am a “cam-whore” and “social media hussy”, I spend about half an hour styling my food, taking photographs, writing notes and posting them across my social media platforms before eating them, right after the hubby has paid for the bill and is about to head out of the restaurant.  I enjoy reading all my posts about what I had eaten because I know that I had lived fully in spite of watching what I eat.  Welcome to the foodie world of the quirky Ong siblings.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment